OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
National Geographic Partners LLC (NGP), a joint venture between Disney and the National Geographic Society, is committed to bringing the world premium science, adventure and exploration content across an unrivaled portfolio of media assets. NGP combines the global National Geographic television channels (National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo MUNDO, Nat Geo PEOPLE) with National Geographic’s media and consumer-oriented assets, including National Geographic magazines; National Geographic studios; related digital and social media platforms; books; maps; children’s media; and ancillary activities that include travel, global experiences and events, archival sales, licensing and e-commerce businesses. Furthering knowledge and understanding of our world has been the core purpose of National Geographic for 131 years, and now we are committed to going deeper, pushing boundaries, going further for our consumers … and reaching millions of people around the world in 172 countries and 43 languages every month as we do it. NGP returns 27 percent of our proceeds to the nonprofit National Geographic Society to fund work in the areas of science, exploration, conservation and education.
National Geographic Partners’ Accounting team is seeking a Director of Accounting who will be an exceptional addition to our Finance and Accounting team. As a Director of Accounting at National Geographic Partners, you will be responsible for managing the corporate, domestic cable and magazine accounting and controllership functions on a day-to-day basis. This includes accounting, reporting, policy, internal controls, compliance, tax, content amortization, procurement/ sourcing, and A/P. You will report directly to the Vice President, Controller of Walt Disney Television and be a critical member of the finance leadership team, working closely with the CFO, and FP&A teams to deliver timely and accurate reporting to internal and external stakeholders, maintain appropriate internal controls, and transition the company to SOX Compliance. The Director of Accounting will also work closely with the Company’s auditors and the Company’s owners’ (Disney and National Geographic Society) tax, accounting, and controllership teams. The right person for this role will represent our core values and be a true leader. If you are someone who thrives in a fast-paced work place in dynamic and ever evolving industry, then this is a great role for you.
- Leadership and Management: Day-to-day leadership of the senior leadership team in corporate, media and magazine accounting. Talent management, including people development and recruiting, will be an important component of the role, as well as maintaining a client service and results-oriented culture within the accounting group.
- Financial Reporting: Oversee and direct internal and external reporting requirements including GAAP financial statements and any other reporting or filing requirements.
- Accounting Policies: Interpret, develop, implement, and monitor accounting policies, processes, and procedures. Provide counsel on accounting-related issues, disclosure obligations related to business transactions, and financial statements. Strong knowledge of GAAP and SOX is required. The ability to collaborate with external partners including investors, FASB, and other agencies.
- Compliance and Internal Controls: Ensure compliance with all policies and requirements and provide accurate, timely, and useful management reports. Ensure strong internal controls are developed, implemented and maintained. Partner with Information Technology to ensure the technical infrastructure and consolidation processes supporting financial reporting are designed to meet key control objectives and operate effectively.
- Business Process Improvement: Lead accounting process improvements and change initiatives, streamlining processes, developing metrics, and creating efficiencies within the department.
- Audit: Manage all internal and external audits. Manage day-to-day interactions with external auditing firm. Work with auditors to bring efficiencies to the audit process.
- Tax: Oversee and ensure compliance with all reporting and compliance standards and appropriate collection and remittance of tax. Oversee preparation of K-1s for owners and work with owner tax teams
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and a CPA, graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience at a public accounting firm and/or the accounting function of a publicly traded company in accounting and finance roles.
- Strong accounting and technical expertise in accounting policies and reporting.
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP and required financial statement disclosures.
- Experience managing a 40+ person team.
- Familiarity/ experience with Workday strongly preferred
- Track record in driving process and technology change within an organization.
- Works effectively with strong, diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives, talents, and backgrounds. S/he is known for pursuing what is best and is comfortable with consensus building (at multiple levels) and soliciting feedback; ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of participants including upper management, clients, other departments, and 3rd party providers.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills; ability to present complex material.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team focused, collaborative environment; you should be able to drive work effectively with limited supervision (at times) while representing department and executive management interests and concerns.
- Focus on continual development, performance, accountability and self-motivation.
- Adapts to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities; proven ability to multi-task and efficiently manage time across competing activities/resources; able to effectively prioritize, execute tasks, and thrive in a high-pressure fast-moving environment.
- Energized by learning new things and engaging across a wide range of issues; should have strong problem-solving skills; adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products; displays a technical aptitude that lends itself to learning and mastering new technologies.
- Sets aggressive timelines and objectives to get real results, conveys a sense of urgency, and drives issues to closure; is a self-starter committed to achieving results and has a strong sense of ownership and follow-through.
- Make recommendations and decisions that balance a variety of factors.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.